Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Broadway Tunnel




Walking through the Broadway Tunnel is a hell that seems to never end. Driving through it takes less than 15 seconds, but you don't realize just how fast you can go in a car until you A. get pulled over by a police officer after speeding through, as i have, or B. walk through the dirty dirty tunnel, which takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how much time seems to drag on while you're in there.

It's warm, it's dirty, and you can write things in the scum on the walls. Don't touch anything. Don't try to run like I did--you just end up drawing the fumes deeper into the tiny capillaries of your lungs where smog instantly transfers into your bloodstream and makes you feel sluggish and drunk. Oh wait, I WAS drunk. Why else would I have walked through?

Walking through also makes you think of the asshole husband in Tales of the City, who met his demise in a fiery crash in his evil mercedes in the lovely, endless, scuzzy Broadway Tunnel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ick, I ride my bike through here and the walkway narrows as you head east so you can't help but brush up against the wall. I concur that it is nas-ty!