
Sigh. I hate TV. I HATE TV. I hate it. I do kind of work in it, which is fun. I enjoy watching it every once in a while. But overall, really, I think it just takes away from life. Yes, there are moments when it is nice to not think about anything and relax your mind and watch a movie or just veg out. But beware, it can truly ruin the potential fun of something, like a weekend away. And it just takes one person to turn it on. And no one can turn it off. Because that would be rude. To walk away or read a book would be anti-social. There is no escaping it. It IS TV.
You go away for a weekend with people who you don't know very well and one of them turns on the TV. All of a sudden, you are no longer talking. You are no longer moving. You are...watching. You are...bored. You are not dancing, you are not talking, you are not playing games, you are not drinking, you are not smoking, you are not getting to know people better, you are not having stimulating conversations, you are not being silly, you are not making an ass of yourself and neither are the people around you, you are not building inside jokes that will make you snicker years later, you are not making memories, you are not living. You are watching TV. You are zoned out. And if you're me, that is your cue to fall asleep.
TV all evening, bleh. TV during breakfast and dinner, yuck. Sitting down to a meal and watching someone try to see around and over your head to the basketball game as you are facing them, terrible. TV.
To those out there who might fear the vacuum of a world without TV, please trust me. When you turn off the TV you will still be entertained. You will not miss it. You will have conversations with people and you will live your life. There will be things to fill that vacuum, and they will be a lot more memorable than 99.5% of everything you can see on TV. Because it will be you and it will be real.
That said, everyone's different. Not everyone feels the same way I do. And the people who don't made fun of the person who made the very cool Superman-esque icicle arrangement above. I think I know which side of the fence I belong on.
1 comment:
I'd like to add "people recall what they saw on TV" to the annoyance catergory.
Post a Comment