Monday, January 23, 2006

Bohemians in the Snow



My friend Nicole celebrated her birthday this weekend by having her friends (19 twenty and thirty-something boho-eco-hippies) come to Tahoe for the weekend. We stayed in a house on the frozen Tahoe Keys where we could, at night, look at the stars and see foxes running across the ice as we drank beer in a rainbow-glowing hot tub. It pretty much had it all.

Here's the view looking out the back door, past the hot tub and frozen keys, to the mountains. So beautiful.



Sadly, my camera broke right at the beginning of the trip so I'm relying on my friend Rich for these photos. The gondola ride at Heavenly has the most amazing views of the lake. (I got to go skiing again, yippee!)



I won't forget this weekend soon. We laughed at silly things until we were giddy, and then we laughed again, and talked and ate and drank and danced and hot tubbed and skiied and played games and unsuccessfully tried to write a theme song and more. I'm still laughing out loud like an idiot every time I think about one of the comments made when we were playing a game--"It's the sound a genetically engineered sheep makes---BUH!"

Sunday we tried to sober up and went snowshoeing to Cascade Falls, which was mostly frozen over. You could see water running down the huge granite rock faces through holes in the ice and snow. I wish I'd had my camera to take a picture of that in particular, but I don't think there's any way I could have captured it.

I am in awe that there were many TVs in the house, yet even with 19 very different people, not a single one was turned on to create a common tie during the entire weekend. It was just too interesting without it.

Here's a photo from our snowshoe escapade. It was like walking in a fairytale, except kind of noisy with 10 clomping people :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So far your adventures to rediscover the great state of california sound amazing. I can't wait to hear more! Bye the way... your descriptions are really wonderful so if your camera is still broken don't hold back!