
Last weekend I took a trip to Baker Beach with my friend Colin and his dog who I adore, Sol, went to SFMoma, and went to Half Moon Bay to brunch and the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve--the best tidepools in the Bay Area.
I kept trying to take picturesque photos of Colin and his dog but Sol wasn't having the listening to Colin part.

I saw the Chuck Close and Kiki Smith exhibits at the MOMA. Chuck Close's self-portraits exhibits featured 5 holographic plates with details so intricate that you could see tiny hairs growing out of the tip of his bulbous nose. Shayla's brother, Adrian, recently learned how to do these type of plates using a ruby pulse laser at his art school, and he entertained us and about 10 eavesdropping art patrons with his knowledge. As soon as you hear ruby pulse laser you know it's gonna be good.

The day at the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve was incredible. I went with a wonderful friend who is an amazing photographer. If he had a photojournal it would outdo mine ten-fold. He takes amazing close-ups of plants and animals the likes of which I've never seen. We had a great day laughing like crazy and looking at plants and animals in colors you can't imagine possible in nature. We brunched before the tidepools at Rogue Chefs in Half Moon Bay (don't want to get tempted as you're looking at the smorgasbord of fauna! totally kidding). This is their version of eggs benedict. Amazing. I had randomly heard of them through Daily Candy. I don't think a lot of other Daily Candy readers were there. The arts and crafts-style house it's in was pretty empty, but well-designed and the food and service were great.

When we got to the tidepools this is one of the first things we saw. It's harbor seal mating and birthing season and these seals were lying out close to the tidebreak at the marine reserve. The water you can see in front of them is part of the tidepools.

By the way, here is what you look like when you go to tidepools. Everyone you see is either doing this, or they're delicately stepping their way through the tidepools trying to kill as few things as possible and not fall in at the same time, which seems inevitable (i did a couple times). That, or you step on a an anemone exposed to the air and activate the anemone alarm, meaning that you get squirted with water by a very pissed-off invertebrate, if invertebrates can muster up enough emotion to really get pissed off. I'd imagine they'd generally be pretty mellow.

And here's what you see when you're looking at the tidepools.

There was a huge field of mussels clustered closely together. They just shut up tight when the water goes out.

These purple urchins sit in rounded-out crevices.

There are lots of colorful anemones.


Another amazing sunset while we sat on the beach.
No comments:
Post a Comment