Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A Series of Creepy


At an early hour Saturday morning Reid, Whitney, and I all went to the Maker Faire, an indescribable hodgepodge event showcasing the works of burning man artists, creepy crafters, inventors, hobbyists, cervix scopers, and steampunks.

It had a creepiness about it. It was the kind that can only come from throwing together a bunch of people who usually hole themselves up alone at home who suddenly must share with others what they do, holed up at home. You'd think they'd never seen a woman before. I was creeped out.

creepy sculptures

not so creepy bike lights in creepy room

creepy steampunk house with two-headed lamb

not so creepy motorized cupcake covered with oversized prozac (however, it was secretly creepy as the guy had his baby barely peeking out from the opening in the cupcake--not visible here)

creepy giant sculpture with eye that looked at you

not so creepy art car


But I got a pretty cool electronics kit out of the fair to teach me how to play with LEDs. Yay.

The creepiness was added to by the fact that Reid had shaved his beard into a pervy mustache for the weekend. That was creepy on its own. I unintentionally managed to take some pretty creepy pictures of him by the by.



That last one was the creepiest, at a creepy restaurant with dirty menus. But the mustache is gone now and my clean-shaven boyfriend has returned and it's almost like I haven't seen him in a long time, a funny but good feeling.

On Sunday I tried to avoid the creepiness by staying away from the Weird Street Festival but ended up walking around the city for hours, landing at the Wave Organ, one of the creepier locations in San Francisco. Built from the stones of a demolished graveyard, inhabited by rats, oddly Dr. Seuss-esque (not that Dr. Seuss is creepy, he's not), the wave organ is at the tip of a tiny finger of a peninsula extending from the Marina harbor into the bay. It has great views of Alcatraz and the Marina. But it's creepy and lonely as hell.

Thankfully, the creepiness was contained by the weekend, maybe even started by the weekend as Friday night we walked in darkness on Baker Beach after waiting in the trees for the cop to close the gates, all the while feeling like something was going to jump out at us.

4 comments:

Reid said...

You didn't mention that I got even creepier as the weekend evolved. The mustache was thinned, and all of a sudden I was wearing make-up.

Sosia said...

Oh that was creepy. So creepy, in fact, that I must have put a mental block on it. Some things are just tooooo creepy.

Anonymous said...

so ... is this what fueled your burningman question? a lot of the things in the pictures are from the playa. I love the cupcakes!!! They're the cutest!

http://burningcam.com/2006/photos/pictures/picture-112.jpg

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, what is a Mom supposed to do if she gets freaked out late at night and worries about creepiness?