
I'm so so proud of my brother!
This past weekend he wore an eight-pointed hat and officially became an M.D. as he graduated from med school in upstate New York. I had a few teary moments. Not only did he graduate, but he also got a mess of awards, including a medal I made him wear in photos.
His fiancee and her parents, and our two sets of parents, all converged from Utah and California to be there with him, messily, as our parents aren't exactly on speaking terms, or being-in-the-same-room terms, but they did okay. (I asked them both to play nice in advance, and we had a refrain for the weekend: It's been 12 years, people!!!)
The weekend involved the ceremonies, but also, as happens when you get family together, a lot of eating. A LOT of eating.
Ulla and Sara, my brother's future mother-in-law and fiancee. (Trip #1 to Stella's eatery, right after I got off my redeye and found out my luggage was lost.)

Karen, my stepmom, and Dad (Trip #2 to Stella's eatery)

The real start to the eating frenzy was the Dinosaur BBQ, a biker bar, and our waistlines only expanded from there.

An appropriate sign

Saturday was the awards ceremony and we got to see my brother's friend become commissioned as a Navy doctor, too. It is a big deal and an extremely honorable thing to do, with a massive commitment. All of the graduates being commissioned had to officially sign a document after the ceremony, somewhat un-ceremoniously, and for the most part they were a little pale.
A doctor officer and a doctor gentleman.

Receiving one of his many awards.

Commissioning.


Ben, Mom, and stepdad Brett

Drs. Bert, or Dr. Berts

Later on we got to eat more, this time Italian. My brother's future mother-in-law, Ulla, is from Gothenburg, the town I went to in Sweden. I adore her. We were sitting at a round table and she made everyone do a group hug around the table. And then another one.


Classic squinty eyes. He looks a lot like my uncle when he smiles.

My brother feeding his pigeons--screeching babies and a brown adult.
I was a little freaked out by the pigeon thing until I realized that these have been my brother's balcony companions through long days of studying alone, and then I felt happy that they were there. But I still don't like pigeons very much.


The eight-pointed hat.

My dad hooding my brother at his graduation. They ceremoniously passed leatherman knives in honor of my uncle and kissed each other on the lips. The auditorium made the "awww" sound.

Since my parents don't get along, this is as close to a group shot as we got all weekend, which I actually think is extremely hilarious.

Me making my brother wear his medal for a photo.

Trip to Green Lakes the next day. The water had an amazing color.

Ice unsafe, keep off

Passed out at the end of the weekend.

Just kidding. But I felt like I'd run a marathon by the time I got back.


Benjamin, I just want you to know that I am so proud of you. When you were up on stage, I couldn't have been happier. I felt like I was up there with you.
2 comments:
Very sweet post, Sosia. And a totally acceptable reason to miss B2B :)
Great post Sosia. You and your brother have the same cheeks.
Post a Comment