Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Delight That is Warm Nights and Warm Days in San Francisco



This past weekend in San Francisco was one of those truly incredible weekends of amazing weather that comes so rarely in the city that it inspires something of a frantic disposition in its denizens.

"Must do something!!!! Must be outside and make most of every single ounce of sunshine and warmth! Warm weather will not last! Every man for himself, except that we must enjoy this gloriousness collectively!"

I’m predisposed to this frantic nature as well.

I have to say, though, that I had such a fun weekend!

On Friday Reid and I had a date (tee hee) and after dinner and a movie we went to the Tonga room at the Fairmont to enjoy drinks and middle-aged people dancing, while it rained from the ceiling into a pool where the band played on a little boat.

Afterwards, we scooted around the city. The night was so warm that we didn’t even have to wear jackets. We scooted past Grace Catherdral, through Nob Hill where we saw the San Francisco Twins walking arm in arm as always, down Polk Street where we saw the Friday night rollerskaters and people out walking around. We rode all the way down to Crissy Field where the bay water was like glass, reflecting the bridge lights in straight lines.

Saturday was hanging out on the Jo-tel roof,


in the Rogue Brewery patio,



and grilling at Reid’s.




Sunday was an amazing bike ride with Shannon from North Beach through Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach and Beach Chalet, which shall be called, from here on out, Babies n’ Beer.

(see Shannon with Ocean Beach windmill in the background!)

Babies 'n' Beer! (both were everywhere)


On the way back I stopped at a BBQ in the Haight at Allison and Ellen's house (sometimes called the Haigh-tel but they're not so into that).




But, what happens when the weather is nice in the city is that you get three days where the city enjoys itself in sunshine, and then

suddenly

it tires of it

and the fog rushes back in off the bay.

A welcome respite and pleasant ending to the heat and frantic-ism that the lovely and temporary weather inspires.

It's as if the city is saying, that's it, I've given you this lovely gift. You can go home now, relax, and relish your memories of these wonderful days.

2 comments:

Reid said...

You forgot to mention that we saw a crazy shooting star that might have actually been a UFO!!!

Hip E. said...

Great post, Bert. I'm inspired to stop working on Saturdays (Coachella here I come) and start taking pictures and posting them.