Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bubble Magnets



A while back I mentioned that I'd had a creative moment while sick and started making magnets based on Not Martha's instructions.

It has been so cold that I've been staying inside and have made a few more batches. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I made a bachelor-themed set for Reid's new 70s-style apartment out of old Playboy cartoons,




(cartoon boob)


abstract sets from a magazine photos and drawings (the one at the start of this post, and below. The ones at the top all came from one drawing in Wired showing a cow being subjected to hormones and antibiotics.)


and have a bunch more on the way.

My workspace. Not the brightest thing to use silicone glue near leather furniture, but it makes a good worktable.


The plastic cabochons (the "bubble" part) are fun because of the magnifying nature and the tiniest images become a lot more interesting. I bought mine at Tap Plastics on Van Ness, added some magazine cutouts, silicone glue, and magnets, and voila!

4 comments:

Reid said...

What's the biggest bubble magnet you could make? Also, can you make colored bubble magnets?

Sosia said...

Mine get up to 1 inch without having any weakening of the magnet's ability to hold up.

Tap Plastics offers 2 inch cabochons at a hefty $15 each, I think (not on their site). I've seen those as paper weights, but don't know if they'd be effective magnets. Plus, the bigger they get the less magnifying they become and, in my opinion, the cuteness also diminishes.

You can make colored bubble magnets. Not Martha used flat-sided marbles at first, which you can buy at craft stores in the plant sections. Those come in lots of colors, including clear with iridescence.

Angela Lakin said...

Very cool! I totally have to try making these.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mentioning Tap Plastics because I've been looking for these cabochons everywhere! I didn't know what they were called so that was the problem. I was introduced to this craft 3.5 years ago and came across bubble magnets at orientaltrading.com recently and ordered them but they were not the same. And I didn't like the flat marble ones Not Martha wrote about. Tap Plastics just happen to be in my area so I got there 3 minutes before they closed tonight and picked them up. They are not cheap but they are exactly what I need and want! THANKS!