Monday, May 15, 2006

I live in Miami! Holy crap.



The first thing I heard when I got off the plane in Miami was a news report that an alligator had attacked a jogger, dragged her into a river, and dismembered and eaten her. They caught the alligator and found two arms inside. I live here now. Is this a sign?

My old roommate, Kathy, also a surprised transplant to Miami 7 months ago, took me on a grand tour of the area on my first real day here so I could check out the sights and see where I might want to live. She and her boyfriend, Wes even fed me delicious cuban food they cooked themselves, in their adorable apartment.

One of the things we saw was the beautiful Venetian Pool, a public pool built in the 30s to make good use of a quarry. I am going back there as soon as possible. I am on a mission to find pools and hopefully a pool with an apartment, and not the other way around.

We also toured a crappy apartment in an art deco building that probably used to be a nudist colony. It had a GREAT pool, though.

Kathy in front of Key Biscayne. I can't wait to go there. You can walk out in the shallow water and fish will swim around your legs.



Me, pale and about to get sunburned, on my first day in Miami.



I start my new job today. Holy crap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck! Eager to read about all the developments as you break in your new city!
Have a tremendous First Day!

Anonymous said...

You look very cute in that photo with the water in the background, but that's not anything new.

Good luck in Florida. You have my number if you every want to chat.

Regards,
N

Critique said...

I'm very impressed!