
Nicole and I on our last day together on a relaxing urban planning boat tour of the DC waterfront.
Before I have a chance to finish writing the post, here are some of the rest of the photos from our trip.
Things have been nutty lately, as I made the sudden decision to move to Miami for a job. Anyone who glances at this blog will know how much I love my life here in San Francisco--my roommates, my friends, the natural beauty and quirks of the city and area. It's going to be a tremendous change, and a sacrifice for a secure future. It is absolutely not that I am not contented with what I have now. I know what I have, and I appreciate it and do not take it for granted. This is not an easy change, but a necessary one. You won't complain to see pictures of blue skies and white beaches though, will you? :)
A common sign throughout the south. Seriously, though, would you be at Texaco?

Raccoon Mountains in Tennessee. We camped there for a night and when we woke up I thought that was where "Where the Red Fern Grows" was set. I was wrong, but it definitely seemed like the right kind of place.

The Ocoee River. I want to go back. It was so beautiful. Around every turn was a whitewater opportunity, which I've never done before. Even at 60 miles an hour, the south struck a chord with me. A different culture from my own, and very different visually and naturally as well.

Nicole preparing one of our trip staples--peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches. I'm addicted, officially. We didn't eat fast food once on the trip. Except the near-daily starbucks run, if you can count that. Or that one chocolate milkshake. Come on, cut me some slack. I'd eat KFC in a second. But the grape jelly was too good.

The Great Smoky Mountains

Nicole celebrates tulip season when we reached Virginia.

One of many striking sunsets.

Cute house in Abingdon, Virginia.

Gratineed scallops at an old restaurant in Abingdon called the Tavern. Built in the 1700s (?), the floors are slanted and the place has a presence all its own.

Exterior of the Tavern. The moss growing down the roof isn't quite visible here.

A real campsite we stayed in in Virginia along the river. We were the only non-RV campers. Canadian geese were honking over head all night. A lady in an RV from New England offered us some coffee and then told her husband in a stage whisper laden with a new york kind of accent that we were "gutsy".

Prettiest gas station rest stop ever, where we frolicked. There's video to prove it.

Dogwood in bloom in Virginia.

Picturesque farmland.

The 19th century garden cottage where Nicole will be living. SO cute.

Photos from my 30 hour first trip ever to NY.


No comments:
Post a Comment