Friday, December 30, 2005

The Last Day of San Francisco Vacation

Today marks the last day of my vacation in my own city, and I greet it with melancholy as well as a sense of satisfaction. I am leaving to drive to LA today to meet my mom and family for her birthday and while I am looking forward to it, when I return on Tuesday I will not have any more time to wander around the city doing whatever I please. I go back to work on Wednesday.

I have to say, though, that this vacation in my own city could almost have not been better. The weather was terrible, true, but I went on my favorite hike, picked up guitar again, made syrups and cooked, read, started this blog, launched actual hosting for my (admittedly crappy) website, shopped, had good hot chocolate and a home-made latte every morning while lounging, swam for the first time in years, biked, went to the pet cemetery, organized my room (ie life), cleaned house, started to learn photoshop, explored some career options, wandered the city, attended a cooking class taught by my oldest friend, went to parties, went to bars to meet old acquaintances, met good friends and my roommate for lunch, had very enjoyable dates, got multiple big errands done, saw Gavin Newsom :) , ate dinner with my dad and stepmom a couple of times, and more. While I can't say that I would have gotten my vacuum repaired and car smog-checked, I do feel that I lived these days to their fullest, as if they were my last.

The main thing, however, is the amount of time that my vacation allowed me, and the ease of life it permitted, what with being available every evening, and at leisure the rest of the time, encouraged me to become a real human being again that had much concern for the well-being of the people around me. I loved spending time with my friends and my roommate, Katie, and having a chance to get to know them better. Working as much as I have been had turned me into less than a human being. All I was doing was working, with no time or energy for anything else once I got home. I am determined to curb this, to leave at 5 when I can and attack the rest of my workload in the morning, so that I might meet a friend, or learn a computer program, or read a book each evening. Anything besides work, because no matter how much a person likes their job, to narrow their life to only that one thing isn't healthy. I feel that my growth as a human being has been stunted, and I would like to begin learning and branching out again.

I am looking forward to LA and I hope that my boss will allow my request for a couple of days off around the weekend when we first get back, so that I might go to Tahoe and at the same time, reacclimate to the working environment.

No comments: