
One of the things that I think other people might consider more odd and a little morbid that was on my checklist was to go to the Presidio Pet Cemetery. I've wanted to go since I was a kid, and though I drove past hundreds of times, had never ventured in until yesterday.
The first of the photos are from my excursion to the Pet Cemetery. I hadn't expected it to be at all creepy, or malodorous (!) but it was a little of both. I sunk into the ground in a couple of spots and once I left couldn't fully shake the idea of eerie graveyard dirt being attached to my boots. Made me want to hose them down. I'm glad I got to mark this one off the list though, finally. Some of the epitaphs were truly touching, and others made you wonder about the owners' state of mind. (like the GI Pet one). I'm including some of the better epitaphs and photos and I hope you enjoy. I particularly enjoyed the tiny tombstone dedicated to "Ratilla" and Skippy, who "Loved Life".








The last photo is of a tree near the main post that they light up each year for the holidays. It has nothing to do with the cemetery, only it is the only official nod to the holidays that the Presidio gives, and it's actually quite spectacular. The glow from the lights makes you want to have a evening picnic beneath its branches, or just extend your arms and spin in circles, if the frequent drivers-by wouldn't give you looks that would ruin the experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment