Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Busy Summer

What a crazy summer it's been, with mainly work making my life hectic, but managing to squeeze in fun here and there.  

I went to Chautauqua, New York, to visit with Reid's parents over the 4th of July.  It's an incredible literary, cultural, and art community, and I had a great time with them.


Reid and I went camping in Gold Country at the Yuba River.
"Come! take chances!"
Old gold claim



Visited Emily's new apartment
Went back to LA, stressed out, watched other people eat things with eyeballs.

Went white water rafting with the Jo-tel, the Fell-tel, and the Haigh-tel.

Went to Ghent, Belgium for work
Ate some Belgian food.
Met a Belgian in cowboy boots who flies to Texas to cook Italian food for a wealthy family.
Saw some very old buildings

Was lucky to travel with a very nice colleague

When we were both very tired and hangry we still managed to get along, Jose Luis putting up with some very corny jokes from me about cupcakes.
Saw some more amazing sights in Ghent while walking around.


Some wonderful old friends came to see me from Cambridge while I was there -- Haylie and Jim.
Drank some good beer here -- De Koningk and La Chouffe.

A clever way to get hold of the right person in a full house. (click to see)
Worked with some wonderful people, Tamara and Pascal.



Took a train for a day trip to see more friends in Amsterdam.


Ubiquitous snack stand in Amsterdam.  
My wonderful friend Jordi.
I rode a bike around Amsterdam with a very happy and adorable couple, Jordi and Jolly.
Went back to Ghent to finish up, celebrated a successful working relationship and our departure with beer in a garden.

The next morning we got up at 5 to catch a train to a train to Paris to catch a flight, as the Brussels airport was on strike (of course).

When we got back and launched, we toasted the team at Trattoria Contadina in North Beach.


Took a break over a weekend for another camping trip with Reid, and some early morning rope-swinging into Bass Lake.
And I'm turning 29 in a week.  Hard to believe.  

With all this crazy work stuff I did have to cancel two trips this summer, which makes me really sad.  One to visit my friends in England (two of whom instead came to visit me while I was in Europe) and one to go to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, with my mom.  I had such a wonderful time on my solo trip last year, just passing through. The other trips I've taken this summer only were for weekends. 

I have a bunch of vacation time and am trying to figure out what to do with it, all alone as no one else has time. Any ideas? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've had a wild ride. Hope you get FF miles.

Sosia said...

And what about you, mr. world traveler and eater of exotic fruits, oh you eater of thai lotuses? How are your FF miles?

Unknown said...

We have those beers at a beer bar a couple of blocks away :)! And don't think that I forgot about your present. I'm just trying to find the perfect photo.