Saturday, October 21, 2006

I love Vancouver



I've been working so much lately I haven't had a chance to do much. I have explored my farm neighborhood a bit on bike and nothing would have prevented me from going to visit my cousin, Jennie, in Vancouver to celebrate her recent engagement and 30th birthday. She and I are quite close and I love going to see her. She is amazing and I'm always happy to see her friends and her native city, too. I could live in Vancouver very happily.

When driving around the city I realized how amazed I was to see the ocean and...tall buildings again. Boulder is getting to my head!

Brunch is big in Vancouver. Jennie and me.



After brunch we went bridesmaid dress shopping with her rooommate, Kora.



Jennie's birthday dinner with her close friends. A lot of good food and a LOT of good wine.



Her fiance, Kelly.



Jennie


The next night, after we recovered, was Jennie's big party for everyone in her circle. Her stepmom, Inger, was there, who I adore. Also there were plenty of friends of my uncle, who passed away a couple years ago. They were all hippies together and many lived on a commune in British Columbia. My mom visited and was horrified to discover that they all used the same toothbrush. My mom was NOT a hippie, but she was good friends with my uncle.

The flying heart, or winged heart, is a symbol of this side of my family and also was a symbol from the commune. There were flying hearts everywhere at the party, both worn and on birthday gifts and cards.

It was a huge party! People were smashed! Shoes were thrown! Both good times and drama ensued!

balloons tied to both ears


Ice sculpture with luge for taking shots...







Kelly asked for a cake with a big 30 on it and he got--big 30.








If I could stay in Vancouver I would...but I flew home and went on a bike ride in my very rural, especially compared to Vancouver, town.

Abandoned schoolhouse



Snow-covered mountains

No comments: